How old is your building?

mojacar-pueblo All about the I.T.E (Inspección Técnica de Edificios) 

Do you live in a building over 50 years old?  If the answer is yes then you should know that your building needs an ITE certificate.  Yes, another certificate.

In much the same way as a car has to have an MOT (or ITV in Spain) where it checks the viability of the car to be roadworthy, the ITE certifies that the building is still habitable.

You will need to employ an architect to prepare the ITE certificate for the building.  He will carry out the following checks:

The buildings structure

  • Foundations
  • Façades
  • Ledges
  • Roofs and Terraces
  • Plumbing
  • Electrical Installation
  • Drainage
  • Damp and cracks

This certificate will need to be renewed every five years, and the need for this certificate is obligatory for all owners of buildings in the Valencian Community as per the Valencian Urban Law 16/2005.

The purpose of this inspection is to ensure that owners maintain the building up to code with regards safety, hygiene and maintenance, conserving essential elements of the building.

The certificate should outline any flaws, possible causes and the measures to be taken to ensure these are resolved, and that the stability and security of the property is maintained.

A copy should be sent to the Town Hall and to the corresponding professional body.  The Town Hall can make it obligatory for the Certificate to be displayed.  If during a Town Hall inspection it is discovered that the building does not comply with the law, the Town Hall can carry out its own inspection and charge you for it.  It is best to get an independent architect to prepare one for you.  According to the law the Town Hall can condition building licenses and occupancy licenses to the obtaining of this certificate, but for this it must be included in their municipal ordinance, you should check with your Town Hall.

Lastly, if the building does not have an ITE certificate, the insurance company may well not pay out if there is a claim made in relation to the building.